Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The battle continues....GGT and cholesterol

My medical result (blood test) came to me like a brick wall when I found out my GGT was 264! This is way out of my league. I came away thinking this has something to do with my genes. My mother was acquired diabetic, had elevated liver enzymes indicator and blood pressure is high.

Although my blood pressure is normal, my triglycerides is normal, body sugar count is normal, my total cholesterol is somehow in the 200+ range, which is borderline high. 

My last check up from my doctor revealed I have a fatty liver, which if i dont do any drastic diet change that it could worsen and may lead to liver disease in the future.

Enough is enough! Better do something on my diet now.

                      STOP           START
                      ======        =====
Breakfast        beehoon      congee, orange
Lunch             deepfried     soup or salad
Dinner             meat           fish, sardines, vegetables (boiled brocolli)
Snacks           processed   all natural fruit

Most of all, I would need to fast from food. Fasting which is one of my struggle as a person need to be done on a regular basis. 

I think and I feel my liver hasnt had a break (Maybe once) since I was born. 

So Better get something done while the condition is still reversible.



=======================================

Year    Total   cholesterol         GGT
===    =============        ===
2010   216
2011   226
2012   263 (may 2012)            158
           253 (Aug 2012)
203     228 (oct 2013)              264



Sep 4, 2012

I came back from the doctor this morning and was excited that my blood cholesterol has dropped by 10 pts. The drop was over the last 3 months period. Thanks in part to the routine exercise I did in preparation for the triathlon and the reduction in diet (less deep fried pork, more on vege/fish). 

Here are my cholesterol numbers so far:

Year    Total   
===    ===
2010   216
2011   226
2012   263 (may 2012)          253 (Aug 2012)


And this is what I have done to achieve measly 10 pts off my baggage!

Month             Swim             Bike           Run
====              ====            ===            ===
June                13k               158k            13k
July                  6.5k               52k            17k   
August             7.8k               40k            10k

No comments:

Post a Comment